Finally, it’s summer! We partnered with Greats Brand to share some of our fave style tips for wearing sneakers in the summer. We love a good sandal or flip flop as much as the next beach-goer, but why be seasonally basic? Beat the heat with these cool tips. (Oh the puns…)
1. Let’s start with the most obvious: tee shirt and jeans. Chelsea went with the black perforated “Royale” sneaker by Greats. She kept it super casual for going to grab a quick bite in an oversized tee and distressed skinnies. By adding a simple cuff she was able to create a little more structure to her jeans and show off these Brooklyn-born kicks. Since sneakers are casual anyway, make sure your pants are well-fitted for a more put together look.
2. Take your basics to the next level with a pop of color. I went with an all white sneaker in the same iconic silhouette as Chelsea, the “Royale”. I could have left my outfit simple with a white tank bodysuit, cutoffs and summer-ready white sneakers, but why? Adding this orange lightweight, loose tuxedo blazer gave my outfit that little something extra without being a typical stuffy work blazer. Wearing an unstructured blazer with casual sneakers evolves your look and puts you right on the corner of classy and cool.
3. Go for the Gold. This yellow hue is so in right now. Take your favorite maxi skirt and make it daytime appropriate with a pair of sneakers. You can still do the no-pants dance and keep your legs from overheating in pants (aka leg prisons) while sporting your favorite sneakers. Perfect metro style for running around while still looking effortlessly chic. One of my favorite parts of pairing maxis and sneakers is that peek-a-boo edgy you get when you sit down to have your coffee and the whole coffee shop gets to bear witness to your awesome shoe show. Yea, it’s a vibe.
4. The shirt dress and sneakers. Few things are more effortless than a shirt dress. I mean seriously, it’s just a big shirt. The first step in this easy disheveled look is to be in dire need of coffee (please reference my appearance in the second picture below… clearly not having it). Step two is to throw a belt around an oversized shirt dress and put on your fave Greats sneakers. Step three, spend the money you saved on these direct-to-consumer shoes on your one true love… coffee. You just got these high quality, Italian calfskin leather luxury sneakers at 60% off the Fifth Ave price, it’s totally okay to spend $8 on your latte now.
5. Pencil skirts beyond the office. Office casual attire has become more and more relaxed as millennials have been diving hipster glasses first into the workforce. With structured pieces, like a pencil skirt, you’ll have the freedom to wear sneakers without looking completely undone. There’s a thin line between casual workplace appropriate, and casual running to Target to restock on face wash appropriate. Stay on the right side of that line by wearing your low top Greats with tailored pants or a well-fitting skirt. Chelsea shows how to do this below. Although she did top it off with a GNR tshirts which, depending on how cool your boss is, you may not be able to do. Any tee could do especially if you tuck or tie it correctly. To err on the side of caution, I’d maybe just not push it with skulls in the workplace though.
We are seriously obsessed with our Greats Brand sneakers and can’t wait to keep bringing this Brooklyn style to DC. Keep kickin it, Darlings!
We received these shoes for free but (as always) provided our true and honest opinion.